Would you risk travelling to a country you've always wanted to see right now in case you'll never be able to in the future?

DelMarMisty

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Hello all,

Can I get some advice on whether you think this is a bad idea? If in the future we have to get vaccinated to travel, I obviously won't be. Whilst I assume they will implement a global vaccine ID very soon, do I take the leap and travel? Is it likely that countries can change requirements from PCR test to vaccine in a short space of time? For some reason, I have been feeling desperate on this issue and want to see a few more places before I can... The thought of not being able to go to another country is making me desperate. Help.

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I think mountaineer is right, this summer is the safest bet. The touristy areas are dying for business so they won't change requirements during this travel season. But as soon as northern hemisphere fall hits, i think we are in for another round of lockdowns. I would have loved to do a larger trip this summer, but it wasn't in the plans for us. I'm kinda sad that I'll probably never be able to go back to Alaska or fly out to the midwest. I'm anticipating all vacations will have to be road trips for us in the future because I'm anticipating airlines will require the jab after this year.

DelMarMisty

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
If it helps you, I sometimes feel desperate for being in Europe.
I am wanting to go to France and Italy. I do not care if it just to sit at a cafe with a book, they can not take that away from me! I will have to make this happen soon, or never.

Aloha50

Sparrow
I've had this same thought the last year or so....post SCAMdemic. What I've concluded is that it doesn't matter and yearning for such travel is not of God (not saying it's bad or sinful). We tend to think, even as Christians (I'm assuming you are a believer who's been redeemed by Jesus Christ) that if we don't visit x, y, or z now we never will get the chance. Sure Heaven will be great, but still I want to see things on the earth as it is now....Heaven is just nice scenery and wispy clouds with God and nice people....or something like that. When God creates the new Heaven and new Earth at the end of history, we will all live there. All culture that's good and redeemable will most likely be reconstituted in the new Earth. We won't long for anything on this earth. Everything will be far superior in the world to come. Look to that world! Be excited about it and know you will not miss out on anything and in fact life will be far better if you do aim for the next world.

'Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither.'

-C.S. Lewis

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
I was hoping to take a summer trip to a tropical beach in Mexico. Then I researched the restrictions. Last I checked, a negative COVID test is required to return to the U.S. Having to undergo a suspicious test takes the fun out of it for me, so I'm staying local.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I was hoping to take a summer trip to a tropical beach in Mexico. Then I researched the restrictions. Last I checked, a negative COVID test is required to return to the U.S. Having to undergo a suspicious test takes the fun out of it for me, so I'm staying local.

Don't worry it's a joke, I was there a couple months ago and the "nurse" at the resort did it. I joked with her and said I would tip well if I didn't have to do it and she laughed and said "don't worry I guarantee you a negative test". She barely touched the entrance of my nostril with the swab and the next day I had my negative test. They know it's a joke, it's all for show I'm sure you could do it even easier in town maybe a BS saliva test.....remember it's Mexico! It's comical and awesome how little they care about anything in that country, I swear they must have asked me to fill out a half dozen covid things at the airport and I just kept telling anyone who asked "I did it on the delta app" and they let me keep going while everyone else was frantically filling our forms. Mind you the delta app has absolutely nothing to do with what they were asking for, it's a joke and they know it is.

Go and enjoy yourself! I'll probably go back next month but I need to find somewhere new, Playa Del Carmen has turned into mini Cancun really fast which is definitely not what I'm looking for.

DelMarMisty

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
I've had this same thought the last year or so....post SCAMdemic. What I've concluded is that it doesn't matter and yearning for such travel is not of God (not saying it's bad or sinful). We tend to think, even as Christians (I'm assuming you are a believer who's been redeemed by Jesus Christ) that if we don't visit x, y, or z now we never will get the chance. Sure Heaven will be great, but still I want to see things on the earth as it is now....Heaven is just nice scenery and wispy clouds with God and nice people....or something like that. When God creates the new Heaven and new Earth at the end of history, we will all live there. All culture that's good and redeemable will most likely be reconstituted in the new Earth. We won't long for anything on this earth. Everything will be far superior in the world to come. Look to that world! Be excited about it and know you will not miss out on anything and in fact life will be far better if you do aim for the next world.

'Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither.'

-C.S. Lewis
I have thought about this too, the desperation for worldly endeavours is not Christian like, yet I can't seem to get past it re travel. Thanks for this, good reminder.

Maddox

Woodpecker
Don't worry it's a joke, I was there a couple months ago and the "nurse" at the resort did it. I joked with her and said I would tip well if I didn't have to do it and she laughed and said "don't worry I guarantee you a negative test". She barely touched the entrance of my nostril with the swab and the next day I had my negative test. They know it's a joke, it's all for show I'm sure you could do it even easier in town maybe a BS saliva test.....remember it's Mexico! It's comical and awesome how little they care about anything in that country, I swear they must have asked me to fill out a half dozen covid things at the airport and I just kept telling anyone who asked "I did it on the delta app" and they let me keep going while everyone else was frantically filling our forms. Mind you the delta app has absolutely nothing to do with what they were asking for, it's a joke and they know it is.

Go and enjoy yourself! I'll probably go back next month but I need to find somewhere new, Playa Del Carmen has turned into mini Cancun really fast which is definitely not what I'm looking for.

What do you mean by that? I had heard really good things about that city.

Maddox

Woodpecker

I'd make damn sure that no nurse sticks that swab all the way up your nose. Those PCR tests are likely more harmful than they look.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
What do you mean by that? I had heard really good things about that city.

10 years ago it was beautiful, even a couple years ago it was nice. But when I was there a couple months ago it was nothing but a big concrete jungle disaster gritty tourist trap. All the charm of Mexico was gone from it, it’s Cancun lite now.

Mind you if you’re the type that never leaves the resort then it doesn’t even matter anyway for you. I’m not, I like to explore and I loved playa because you could stay at a stunning 5 star resort on the ocean but also be a block away from the action. But that is gone now, heck even the ocean is gone every year the beach is smaller and last time the resort barely had any beach left at all, the day beds were pushed up against the water almost.

I think I’m going to give tulum a shot next time. But again if you’re just going to stay at some mega resort in the middle of nowhere and never leave then none of that matters anyway.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Robin
I was in the same boat as you, though I already had established friendships with people in far away lands that I longed to see, so my troubles were not seeing those people again and not fulfilling promises to return.

For me now I'm resigned to the fact international travel is simply off the table, until further notice, and not worth the risk. I'm not willing to play their game and I'm someone that's travelled a large chunk of the world, spent a lot of time in various places and for the most part had the best experiences overseas. So, I don't take this lightly, and understand where you're coming from sincerely.

To you, I would avoid it. Try to dig deep to what lies underneath your desire to travel and search for it in your home land - I know the different language and culture is an obvious attraction, but for me it was always the people that made travel the most meaningful, and good people can be found with turning over a few stones.

Different cultures are seductive, and those in the know are hanging that vaccine passport above us like the sword of Damocles.

I hope it's not forever, either way, and you find what you're looking for.

DelMarMisty

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
I was in the same boat as you, though I already had established friendships with people in far away lands that I longed to see, so my troubles were not seeing those people again and not fulfilling promises to return.

For me now I'm resigned to the fact international travel is simply off the table, until further notice, and not worth the risk. I'm not willing to play their game and I'm someone that's travelled a large chunk of the world, spent a lot of time in various places and for the most part had the best experiences overseas. So, I don't take this lightly, and understand where you're coming from sincerely.

To you, I would avoid it. Try to dig deep to what lies underneath your desire to travel and search for it in your home land - I know the different language and culture is an obvious attraction, but for me it was always the people that made travel the most meaningful, and good people can be found with turning over a few stones.

Different cultures are seductive, and those in the know are hanging that vaccine passport above us like the sword of Damocles.

I hope it's not forever, either way, and you find what you're looking for.
Thanks, solid advice. For me it has always been the lack of culture in Australia. I've always felt the need to escape and find meaning in people, places, languages etc. Another motivation right now is standing against this tyranny, and in my own way telling them to F off. Having to beg to leave a country is despicable. I just can't reconcile myself with them doing this...

DelMarMisty

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Also, I have noticed flights from August - October are super expensive and flight from January 2022 are back to normal...

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
What happens if they change the rules whilst you are abroad to mandate vaccinations for flying? I will never risk international travel again because they have you over a barrel.
Even the vax is not a guarantee. I've heard of people not being able to get to their home countries even with the vax and having multiple negative tests. Some people have been stranded outside of their home countries for over a year now. Especially if they come from a place with heavy lockdowns and border closures. If you travel abroad you have to be prepared for the possibility of being stranded wherever you travel AND getting the jab.