Years ago a glass shard lodged in my throat...

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
About 15 years ago I had an accident with a mirror where glass shards flew into my face, and some into my throat. I was struggling with depression and alcoholism and I was pressured into smoking weed. The weed just got me more messed up and led to the accident.

Fast forward 15 years, I have been struggling with mild discomfort in my thoat due to a shard that doctors were unable or unwilling to find. The most annoying part is that it affects my voice. The discomfort was mild until last night when it seemed to become mobile after a hastily scarfed meal. There was pain in a slightly different spot and my throat felt tight. Thankfully, after praying to God for mercy and trying to calm myself the pain did subside.

I am wondering if any knowledgeable members know if there is a way to scan for shards of glass in the throat. I was told by doctors that there is no way. I have been able to feel the buried shard with my tongue but not with a finger or stick. It has moved a bit now and is much less detectable. I am scared that it may slice something major.

A few years ago I went to an ear-nose-and-throat doctor but I had been trying not to fiddle with the shard and had lost track of where it was. I was unable to communicate to the ENT doc where it was; he probably thought I was nuts.

I'm stuck in the communist nation of [cannabis] Leaf, so my doctor options are limited, but I am trying to come to grips with the fact that I probably have to go see one. During this hoax I'm sure the system is primed to really abuse people badly, and I'm not wanting to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

Blade Runner

Ostrich
Orthodox
If you have a reaction to a foreign body, you might at least see soft tissue thickening as an indicator. This can be tough to see both because glass isn't that dense (to show up on x ray exams) and because it sounds like a long time ago. The other issue? All sorts of people complain about throat pain, swelling, globs, discomfort, etc. The best study to check would be a contrast enhanced CT scan.

By the way, if you can feel it with your tongue it probably isn't in your throat - but that may be definitional.

OP, have you had an endoscopy? Unfortunately, I’m not in the medical profession so that is the only thing I can think of.
Also, definitely pray to St. Blaise as much as you can if you are Catholic.

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
If you have a reaction to a foreign body, you might at least see soft tissue thickening as an indicator. This can be tough to see both because glass isn't that dense (to show up on x ray exams) and because it sounds like a long time ago. The other issue? All sorts of people complain about throat pain, swelling, globs, discomfort, etc. The best study to check would be a contrast enhanced CT scan.

By the way, if you can feel it with your tongue it probably isn't in your throat - but that may be definitional.

I will look into that thickening effect and contrast enhanced CT scans, thanks :)

Yeah, it's kind of at the back of my mouth, not really deep in my throat. I have an inordinately flexible tongue.

The thing is that what happened is when the mirror broke within about a foot of my face I felt shards go in. There was a gagging feeling but nothing coming out. It's hard to pull up a vivid memory of the event but I do remember there was some blood. Sometimes these unimaginably unpleasant things actually happen. I was hoping that the shard would just be benign for the rest of my life.

At the ENT doctor he gave me a numbing agent to inhale into my lungs. He said it was entirely safe - but who knows what was in that stuff. Then he stuck a light and a camera up my nose, I guess to thoroughly check all areas, even though I told him the area in question was at the back of my mouth. He said he couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. The scope was very uncomfortable and after a while my body started to rattle, so he finally took out the scope. I thought he might have made the exam a bit more uncomfortable than necessary.

@Vasily Zaytsev I'm undecided, but thanks I'll read up on him :)

Remember folks, when doing your DIY projects use protection, and have a plan of how things are going to go down.

Last edited: